Sunday, March 28, 2010

Booking train berths in advance

I%26#39;ll be traveling from Hanoi to Lao Cai and back in early/mid August with my family of four. Does anyone know if the soft sleeper berths would tend to book up that time of year? Should I book ahead, or can I likely get four sleeper berths at the last minute?



Booking train berths in advance


I went last August and would recommend booking in advance. However, Tonkin Travel was able to get us the 2 berth soft sleeper fairly last minute. I am not sure if the new trains are running yet, but you may want to look into them.





We loved the Chau Long hotel. Tonkin was able to offer us a better rate than the hotel did. Keep in mind, they do charge extra (maybe 3%) for credit transactions.





tonkintravel.com



livitrans.com



Booking train berths in advance


Good advice. Thanks eos.




You can book a private cabin for 4, but make sure you ask for a private cabin otherwise, 2 may be in one cabin and the other 2 in another cabin. Although most of the train are similar except for Victoria, I suggest that you take Tulico train, the new carriage for more comfortable as it really has bigger cabins. Also this is the most reliable company and often give you train ticket much ealier in advance than others. Livitran beds are quite short so if you are very tall (175cm above), it will not be very comfortable.




Hello





how do we book for the 2 berth cabin at Tulico Trains and what is the schedule like?





Thanks!




Simple - just google to find a TA in Viet that sells the train space. I used Mr. Diep at Adventure Indochina - you can even talk to him on Skype. I bought my tic in person at his Hanoi office and paid $25. one way for 4-berth King Express (very nice). Be sure to have your Sapa hotel meet you in Lao Cai.




Thanks Daawgon for the response! Btw how was the arrangement like between you and Mr Diep? Did u have to give him yr credit card details to book the tickets or you can just reserve via email arrangement and then pay him at the office upon collection of the tic?




I bought the tic at his Hanoi office - in person. Mr. Diep is a very nice guy - I encourage you to contact him, you can use Skype for either voice or text chat.




Hi



There are many different comnpanies that offer good train, if you book one of these trains, it can be great.





TSC train, Haratour train, Tulico train, Ratraco train, livitrans train, there quality is about the same and also the price.





Good luck



Fanxipantravel




Hi,





Does anyone know how many days in advance can I get the VIP tickets for Tulico train? Can I buy them directly from Tulico or do I have to buy them from a travel agent? Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics, i will be always checking your blog thanks. Halong Bay Cruise Hunters

    ReplyDelete